Technical description of the launder
The proposed design of the launder is made according to the health and safety rules in use in seller's plants regarding the robustness of the metallic structure, the properties of the refractory materials and the metallurgical needs. For example, the metal flow speeds, abrasion resistance and thermal properties of the lining.
1.1. Design principle of the launer
The total launder is made of a certain number of elements each with a length of around 0.9 m maximum, comin in various shapes: straight element, single T or double T
All the elements have the same section. The only difference is on the part connecting the launder to metal treatment equipment or the furnace.
Each element is made of a welded steel casing, U shaped, containing high insulating materials and castable lining or equivalent.
To ensure a good thermal stability of the steel casing under temperature, the U shape is reinforced on the two sides by a square section.
The connection system between two elements allows their thermal expansion without any mechanical constraint. Moreover, the launder is supported on the ground by means of a steel support.
The insulating elements are installed in the casing on the sides and on the bottom.
1.2. Lining performance
The lining is a high strength refractory, selected after years of research and testing in actual casthouses for:
- Ensuring ≤ 2°C/m metal temperature drop
- Insulating properties and thermal chock resistance
- Wear resistance, without pollution of the melt with foreign inclusions
- Long service life of the selected refractory material and steel casing in normal conditions of use
- Chemical resistance: no sticking with aluminium, no chemical pollution of the melt.
- The castable lining is kept in position against the insulating material by means of a steel plate, on the top, and a refractory board, insuring a mechanical force.